Ingredients (serves 8)
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 200g butter, chopped
- 100g good-quality dark cooking chocolate (like Plaistowe Cooking Chocolate), chopped
- 60mls (1/4 cup) water
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbs espresso instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Brush a deep 22cm round cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base with non-stick baking powder.
- Combine butter, chocolate, water, cocoa, coffee and vanilla essence in a medium saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and well combined. (See microwave tip 1.) Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes or until mixture is lukewarm.
- Meanwhile: use electric beaters to whisk sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl until pale and creamy. Whisk in the chocolate mixture until well combined. Add the flour and whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared cake pan and bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes or until crumbs cling to a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake. (Do not be concerned if the surface cracks a little).
- Remove from the oven and stand in the pan for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Spread icing (see related recipe) over the cooled cake. Leave to stand for 30 minutes or until the icing is firm. Cut the cake with a warm knife to prevent the icing from cracking.