Ingredients (serves 12)
- 2 small (400g) oranges
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- Orange zest, to decorate
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 10g butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 24cm (base) fluted ring pan. Place oranges in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Drain. Return to saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Drain. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Roughly chop oranges. Remove and discard seeds. Process orange until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in butter, milk, eggs, flour, sugar and almond meal until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in cake comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack over a tray. Cool.
- Make icing Place sugar, butter and orange juice in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir for 5 minutes or until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over cake. Top with orange zest. Stand for 15 minutes or until set. Serve.