Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 'short cut' rashers lean bacon, sliced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded basil
- Heat the stock, wine and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to very low. Keep the saucepan on the burner whilst you make the risotto.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Add the rice and garlic. Stir for 2 minutes or until rice is coated well.
- Pour 2 cups hot stock mixture into the pan, along with the tomato paste, stirring regularly to avoid the rice sticking to the base of the pan. Once most of the liquid has evaporated, add the remaining stock, stirring again until most of the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender. This should take about 15 minutes. Once the rice is tender, stir through the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes. Stir through the basil and serve immediately.