Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 small eschalots, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs chilli paste or sambal oelek
- 2 tsp shrimp paste or 4 anchovy fillets
- 6 macadamia nuts
- 2 tbs canola or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs tamarind concentrate
- 3 tbs grated palm sugar or raw sugar
- 1kg green king prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, to serve
- Process eschalots and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Scrape down sides, add chilli and shrimp pastes, nuts and 2 tbs water. Process to combine.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep frypan over medium-high heat. Add paste and onion and stir for 2-3 minutes until juices evaporate. Add 11/2 cups (375ml) boiling water, tamarind and sugar. Stir for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add prawns and tomatoes. Cook for 8 minutes or until prawns are cooked through. Serve scattered with basil.